Simple Shortbread

It’s been a while since I’ve participated in one of the ratio rallies. Caroline of The G-Spot is hosting this month. Here’s my contribution,  a quick post and a simple recipe for gluten free simple shortbreads using oat flour. In doing a little research I learned that oat flour was the traditional flour for making shortbread, but that it was later replaced by modern wheat flour and starches to create the texture and flavor known today in shortbread. So, I wanted to go back to the traditional flour, which is now available gluten free, and make a healthful and easy shortbread. These were so quick and easy to make that I will definitely put them into my rotation of sweet treats. They’re sweet, but not too sweet. They’re almost a little grown up, but with a delicious taste.

Great cookies for Christmas.

In these cookies I also used whole cane sugar. It’s more natural, minimally refined, and it adds a deep flavor to these cookies that white sugar simply could not provide. The larger grains of sugar also add sparkle and some texture.

See those sparkles?

The ratio used for the shortbread was Ruhlman’s 1:1:1 (flour, fat, sugar).

Simple Shortbread

AmandaonMaui

Preheat the oven to 275F (yes, 275F).

In a large bowl combine equal parts by weight of gluten free oat flour and whole cane sugar. Whisk them together.

In a stand mixer combine an equal amount by weight of sliced softened butter with the flour and sugar mixture. Beat the ingredients together until they are thoroughly mixed and the dough starts to stick slightly to the walls of the bowl.

Dump the dough onto a work surface (counter, cutting board, etc.) that has been lightly floured (I used sweet rice flour). Form the dough into a rectangular log or disk and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes.

Slicing cookies.

After the thirty minute rest time either slice the dough into rectangular cookies (like those store bought rolls of cookie dough), or roll it out and cut it into your desired shapes. Place the cookies onto a silpat, or parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake the cookies for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan until they are stiff enough to move to a cooling rack (about 5 minutes).

Allow to finish cooling, or pop one in your mouth slightly warm (we did!).

These are fabulous with tea, milk, coffee or all by themselves.

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Simple Shortbread

1. Pingback: Molasses Rum Raisin Cookies, Gluten Free | Gluten Free Canteen

2. Lisa @ GF Canteen says:

I love shortbread!

3. Pingback: Gluten Free Reindeer Cookie Recipe-Ratio Rally —GlutenFreeDoctorRecipes Gluten-Free Doctor

4. Erin Swing says:

Nice! Merry Christmas!

5. Tara says:

I love that you got back to the origins of shortbread with your recipe, by using oat flour. They look delicious!

6. Cheryl Anderson says:

My daughter and husband are allergic to gluten. During the holidays it is hard to find recipes that they can eat. They also can not have refined sugar. Need recipes to accommodate them just like I accommodate the rest of my guest. Thanks.

7. Morri says:

Oh, this looks yummy! And so simple. Great job!

8. Jenn says:

Your shortbread looks awesome! I’ve never attempted GF shortbread before, I think now I will have to try :)

9. Jonathan says:

Simple, to the point, and delicious. Another thing I love about shortbread is how versatile it is in taking on different flavors and ingredients. Thank you for sharing!

10. I 100% agree with you about the whole cane sugar. We use the “less” refined stuff at the bakery too. And I’m certain you have access to a lot of good stuff on Maui! 1:1:1 FTW! :)

• Amanda says:

It’s nice to hear that bakeries are using lesser processed sugar as well. Unfortunately, whole cane sugar does not allow things to remain white, so things like frosting and whipped cream with added sugar are tricky.

11. gretchen says:

these look delightful. i love oat flour and the texture it gives baked products. thanks for sharing!

12. Pingback: Zest Bakery & Deli » Blog Archive » coconut peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies

13. Caneel says:

I love shortbread, too! I had no idea that oat flour was the traditional one used in shortbread – thanks for that info. This looks delicious!

14. Those look gorgeous! I love me some oat flour. Going to try them out here soon!

15. Pingback: Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies – Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes